Friday 22 December 2023

Today’s tasks

 

1)     Finish re-loading bookshelves

2)     Pack for going away

And I’ve finally done the bookshelves! Not as efficiently or accurately as I ought to have done, but at least the half dozen crates have been collapsed.

 And I was sorry not to get round to using last week’s prompts, because I did have a story hovering. Nevertheless I much enjoyed reading  those posted, and thank you both for your sterling efforts throughout this year and send best wishes to you and yours, both for your health and happiness during  the festive period and for 2014

 Now to do my packing!

 Words for next year : oblique reckless scrawl 

 Entries by midnight Thursday 11th January, words and winners posted Friday 12th

 Usual rules: 100 words maximum (excluding title) of flash fiction or poetry using all of the three words above in the genres of horror, fantasy, science fiction or noir. Serialised fiction is, as always, welcome. All variants and uses of the words and stems are fine. Feel free to post links to your stories on Twitter or Facebook or whichever you choose

9 comments:

  1. The Secret Armadillo Soldier (SAS) Diaries - entry 254

    Focused on markings scratched into the wooden tablet Jagah had given her, Namwec failed to notice the obliquely hostile glance Venice shot in her direction as he vanished into the covering underbrush; but the recklessly spiteful glare was not lost on the rat guards whose noses twitched imperceptibly at each other.

    ‘You and you,’ Namwec pointed at two rats, ‘use these snivelling gerbils to support my brothers and overthrow those meddling upstarts: Don’t come back until it’s done.’ She trailed a claw over the scrawl on the wood slab, ‘And, find me a scribe-maker,’ she commanded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much enjoyed the glances and the glares

      Delete

    2. Couldn't help but read the first paragraph over and over - it was SO well constructed, Terrie.

      Delete
  2. Thresholds new [3]

    Raven’s obsidian glance oblique; he’d become unused to anything less than subservience in his recent dealings; those with whom we’d stayed – overstayed, I’d’ve said -- held him in too much awe to risk antagonising. Thus he heard my admittedly thorn-threaded teasing as lacking in the respect he now believed his due.
    Call it reckless, but I’d no mind to submit to anything other than equality in our dealings with each other – I’d no more scrawl my signature on any contract than I’d expect him to. Clearly now was the time to inform him of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opening 5 words = wonderful, Sandra. I'm hoping Raven gets his due.

      Delete
    2. I am expecting a few sparks to fly among these two over the next few weeks.

      Delete
  3. LIFE IS…

    Some years back a six-year-old boy recklessly dashed in front of a speeding car. Instinct propelled me into the street to push him to safety, a move that left me sprawled obliquely like a mangled marionette.
    The boy’s mother sent a card to the hospital with the scrawled words “Thank you.”
    Seven surgeries somewhat repaired my shattered legs and a broken pelvis, but thereafter walking was possible thanks to cumbersome knee braces and painkillers.
    I became forever dependent on state and federal aid.
    The boy became a serial killer who slaughtered eleven women before being caught.
    Life is… a bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And yet the Chinese (?) say you become responsible for every life you save. Thought-provoking this, Jim and such smooth prompt uses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree very thought provoking. You can never predict some of the long term consequences of your actions however kindly applied .

    ReplyDelete