Friday 23 February 2024

Lighter mornings, full moon and pink-framed clouds ...

 Led me to lie in bed, rehearsing an opening sentence.  Unsurprisingly the bubble burst before, finally arisen, I had it half-written. Good to see, however, that we had what amounts to a full house this last week, however, following a conversation with Terrie, I am wondering whether it is necessary/desirable for me to declare a “winner” each week? Please let me know your preference.

Words for the coming week: commit estuary plough

Entries by midnight  Thursday February 29th,  new words Friday March 1st

 Usual rules: 100 words maximum (excluding title) of flash fiction using all three words above in the genres of horror, fantasy, science fiction or noir. Serialised fiction is, as always, welcome. All variants and uses of the words and stems are fine. Feel free to post links to your stories on Facebook or whichever.


7 comments:

  1. Given the limited number of weekly Prediction entries at present, not having a weekly winner is ok with me . Still offering comments on others works is important though as lets the author know how we have enjoyed the style or writing skill they have presented . I often like to highlight phrases or words that really stand out for me .If numbers do increase again i would support the reinstatement of the weekly winner too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thresholds new [10]
    Having committed to straightforwardness in all our communications (mutual agreement an additional desirability) my next question obvious.
    ‘We need a destination. Where had you in mind?’
    ‘Somewhere more fertile than this.’
    I’d never thought of him as farmer. ‘You’re thinking crops? That’ll take time, to plant and grow –‘
    ‘First I’m thinking of transport. River, estuary, the sea –‘
    ‘For which we need a boat. Before that, what I’d dearly love are horses. Both to travel on and then for ploughing?
    Raven’s smile was sweet with anticipation.
    ‘I know of stables not ten miles from here.’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've said it before and I'll say it again , Sandra , your skill at keeping us hooked on a character is brilliant. Like him ,or not, Raven sure has charisma.

      Delete
  3. Notice to all bargain-Breakers

    I am the ‘Questuary’ – collector of profit – to Tabris, Lord High Summoner of this realm.

    If you have committed to a bargain with him you can be assured I will be the one to seek you out and collect the fee.

    Costs are high, you may protest, but escape is impossible, you will meet his demands when they are due since breach of contract will exact the highest penalty.

    Without the agreed payment know that your very being is forfeit, is added to the sack of souls destined for the shadow-mines of darkness and ploughed into the timeless pit of oblivion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took me longer than it ought for 'Questuary' to register as a prompt stem. In part because of the convincing authority of his warning. Very clever Terrie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I googled 'words with estuary in them' and found questuary and thought .. I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete