Friday 19 January 2024

Lateness rewarded

 Sometimes, I draft this post some hours before midnight strikes and schedule it to appear earlier than I can guarantee I’ll be up. Today, my sometime tardiness in doing so has been amply rewarded with Terrie’s entry 256 from ‘The Secret Armadillo Soldier (SAS) Diaries’ ,  posted with just seven minutes to go, when I was tucked up in my bed. (A chilly walk to a local pub for a Thai chow mein having taken up my evening)

And while I’m sure we  all agree David’s ‘The Green Boy of the Wild Woods’ was the top place knockout entry of the week, I’m also awarding Terrie consolation prize for persistence, along with one to Jim for his weekly dose of gruesomeness and never-failing, always thoughtful and very welcome, comments. 

 Words for the coming week: behind coast laconic

Entries by midnight  Thursday January 25th,  new words Friday January 26th.

 Usual rules: 100 words maximum (excluding title) of flash fiction or poetry using all three words above in the genres of horror, fantasy, science fiction or noir. Serialised fiction is, as always, welcome. All variants and uses of the words and stems are fine. Feel free to post links to your stories on Twitter or Facebook or whichever.

8 comments:

  1. Thresholds new [6]

    After, Raven’s hand as warm on my behind as his breath in my ear, the both of us still coasting the slow-declining fizz of orgasm, he said, ‘I’m not … our togetherness does not rest on your producing children.’
    Taking care not to accuse, ‘But you can’t deny you want an heir.’
    A scornful snort of laughter, ‘To inherit what?’
    We lay in silence for a while, then, laconic (but with a hint of tumbling thoughts behind and, I thought, with honesty,) ‘We’ve always worked best living day to day, shoulder to shoulder. Let us continue that way.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to share some unwelcome news but sadly I have to let everyone know that Antonia, also known to some of us as Dorothy, who has been unwell for a little while passed away on Friday 19th.
    A tiny lady with a huge personality I met her back in 20 17 and have been in fairly regular contact with since then.
    Dorothy was the most extraordinary lady brim full of interesting snippets of information, historical facts, a dedicated writer, editor and mentor and I am glad to have counted her my friend.
    Her contributions to The Prediction were always interesting and welcome.
    Will miss you my friend X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed, Antonia will be missed. Has been already, her absences giving moments of regret, concern; she was ever-supportive.

      Delete
  3. REFLECTION UPON A SHOOTING

    He stared defiantly, smugly at me. Hoping to catch him neglectful, I bade him look behind, but he just mouthed my words. A laconic bastard, he spoke only when I did and always in in that annoying, whining voice I despised.
    We were long-time friends, but time can expose the worst in friends. I realized this “friend” was determined to coast on my coattails to financial comfort.
    He all but wiped me out.
    I confronted him and we faced each other. We drew simultaneously and fired.
    He missed.
    I didn’t, and he was buried beneath the remnants of the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So clever, this, Jim; that "We were long-time friends, but time can expose the worst" so true.

      Delete
  4. Such sad news about Antonia. It was she who introduced me to The Prediction some five years ago, and I am forever grateful to her for that. May God bless her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Secret Armadillo Soldier (SAS) Diaries - entry 257

    Sarg gave a laconic grunt of approval, ‘Yer right. Can’t keep coasting along on burrow-breeze and feelings of vengeance. Alert soldiers need food and rest. It don’t do t’dwell on what’s behind us, cos it it’s done and dusty. Let’s get em settled then you can gimme a tour of yer workings, so as I kin get things straight in me brain.'

    When they reached the stowage burrow, the digger and Sarg left the others eating and inspected diggings in the direction of the burial burrows.

    Here the tunnel became eerily silent and the whiff of death trailed the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'm repeating myself, but your ability to create pictures in my mind I find both astonishing and admirable.

      Delete