Friday 13 October 2023

Once again declaring a tie

 

So hard to choose between the clarity and claustrophobia of Jim’s ‘What Now?’ and the curling horror of David’s  ‘Day of the wreaths’ that I’ve decided not to, so thank you both and also Terrie for the poetry of ‘The Oracle speaks’ .

I have scheduled prompt words to appear on the Thursdays I’ll be absent, but don’t anticipate posting myself, so hope with posts, comments and votes you can keep the site ticking over until I return.

 Words for next week: congratulate seep year

Entries by midnight Thursday 19th October, words and winners posted Friday 20th

 Usual rules: 100 words maximum (excluding title) of flash fiction or poetry using all of the three words above in the genres of horror, fantasy, science fiction or noir. Serialised fiction is, as always, welcome. All variants and uses of the words and stems are fine. Feel free to post links to your stories on Twitter or Facebook or whichever you choose

7 comments:

  1. Land of the Wreaths

    A year after the experiment we congratulated ourselves on our ingenuity. We had commandeered high city towers, built rope bridges to connect our colonies, devised methods to allow rain water to seep into filters. Although the streets below seethed with writhing briars of sentient wreaths, we felt secure. Until a boy, gathering eggs from rooftop bird cages, made an ominous discovery. The wreaths had mutated once more. They were eerily creeping like ivy up the sides of our sanctuaries. Soon we will be forcefully reunited with the rest of the populace. Soon our bloodied flowers will bud and bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant imagery and the prompt words fitted in so well.

      Delete
    2. Nice try that ended badly, and it appears there is no time to try again. Well done, David.

      Delete
  2. GOODBYE

    As my life seeps slowly year to year, I feel compelled these words to say, These words you are about to read, Are in my mind most every day.

    I write a fond goodbye, To those who thought some good in me. I thank them for their trust And faith in my ability.

    I write a fond goodbye, To those who thought no good in me. I congratulate them in their choice, For I have proved them right, you see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clever poetry within the lines of this sad epitaph of a life .

      Delete
  3. The Secret Armadillo Soldier (SAS) Diaries - entry 246

    Dread seeped over Atlas. An echoing shiver ripple across Armi’s shoulder where it touched his.

    Namwec stopped, mid movement and as a rat came forward to whisper in her ear, sinuously turned toward the lean-to, ‘Why mother, I have just been informed the lizard has overthrown Base-Burrow and has somehow managed to drown their leader.’

    Armi and Atlas stiffened, claws digging angrily into the dirt, as both struggled to withhold roars of anguished disbelief.

    Namwec grinned horridly, adding ‘As for my dear brothers, I fear you must contain your yearning to congratulate them on their endeavours a little longer.’

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wondering if someone fell asleep on guard duty?

    ReplyDelete