Friday 18 November 2022

Envy is allegedly a sin

Another week when it would be wrong to decide one had merit over the other – so my thanks to Antonia and Jim both for their entertaining entries and their comments on mine.

Currently I’m editing a second draft of ‘Snap is not a children’s game’, the fifth in my ‘Love triangles with murder’ series; struggling to find ways of including a few more cliff-hanger endings, because it badly lacks tension, while reading and much admiring writers such as David Mark, Emma Viskic and  Sharon Bolton, each of whose series are both beautifully-written and compelling. 

Words for the coming week: accuse purse question 

Entries by midnight Thursday November 17th,  new words posted Friday 18th 

 Usual rules: 100 words maximum (excluding title) of flash fiction or poetry using all three words above in the genres of horror, fantasy, science fiction or noir. Serialised fiction is, as always, welcome. All variants and uses of the words and stems are fine. Feel free to post links to your stories on Twitter or Facebook or whichever

10 comments:

  1. Antonia Woodville - thanks very much, Sandra! It's getting better generally - my partner emailed me out of the blue asking for my usual PC company's details, and ordered a shiny new computer! I then found out my computer is 13 years old... and only now kicking off the bonds which held it to this earthy plane... most computers last 4-5 years, my partner tells me... which means he destroys them, not that they collapse on their own!!!!!!!! next week I will be getting the new one with the important bit - an hour's tuition!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure do miss not having the rest of the gang submit entries and hope that submission problems are soon solved.

      Delete
  2. Excellent! Especially that you'll also be getting to grips with it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE MENU
    “Honey, don’t be obstinate. You want to be healthy again, don’t you?”
    Anna Dobson looked with narrowed eyes at her husband. “That, Randy, is a silly question. Of course I do.”
    “Then eat something,” Randy insisted “before you waste away!”
    Anna sighed. “Darling, are you accusing me of being suicidal?”
    Randy pursed his lips and shook his head. “No, Lovebug, but I am quite worried about you.”
    “Oh, alright, Dear,” Anna said, reaching for his hand. “What’s on the menu?”
    “Liver… from that fellow who was selling magazine subscriptions yesterday.”
    “I would like it raw,” said Anna.
    “Of course, Sweetheart.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Methinks there's times, Jim, when you don't need encouraging!

      Delete
  4. [Threshold 414]
    Raven’s eyebrows semaphored valiant attempts to hide admiring amusement. The pursing of his lips sought to intimate strong words of accusation; the fixed attention of his eyes a doomed expectation I’d adopt a face of meek apology,
    Regrettably, however, he was out of practice. Lips twitched, burst open, emitting a barely-contained splutter of laughter, as he repeated, ‘”Witch Queen” oh Lord, that was perfect! Did you know?’
    Reluctantly I shook my head .
    ’I was hoping for something a little more … obedient’. But now I think it would be politic for you to beat me.’
    Rolling his sleeves up, ‘Willingly.’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You kick-start a great entry with a wonderful opening sentence, Sandra.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jim, often, I can't get started unless I have a full-formed sentence,

      Delete
  5. Change of focus [492]

    Pettinger, recognising Aleks stowing the DI’s description of the rescued torso into the bloodstained purse of his imagination; feared its likely re-emergence as nightmare and refrained from further questions. Nevertheless he couldn’t help wondering who the body might be. Not easy when there was so much doubt about who’d fathered both himself and his siblings. And how many there were. He’d done his best to free himself of yellow-eyed Raptor’s claim; was sure the worst of those he’d most recently tangled with were safely dead, but he’d never been able to be certain how many were born after he escaped.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'd better be very careful, Pettinger. Perhaps some questions are better unasked.

    ReplyDelete