Sunday, 30 November 2014

Giving Thanks

Hello, my friends. Our apologies for the long delay in posting winner and words. It's been a rather complicated week. Colleen is having difficulty accessing the site, which I am trying to fix. She has also started a new job, which involves cleaning up a terrible administrative mess while simultaneously learning everything about the business and the programs it takes to organize it.

Here in the States, we celebrated Thanksgiving - a day for family to gather and reconnect over a good meal, or a festival of gluttony and enduring relatives you hope to see only once a year, depending on one's situation. I have always thought Black Friday, our national day of shopping madness, should be dedicated instead to sleeping in and being thankful for surviving another holiday.  I hosted my mother in law, who is a lovely woman, but as we had not seen each other in a year, there was little time for me to get on line. Colleen had two things to celebrate on Thursday, as her birthday coincided with the feast day, and the celebration, as I understand it, lasted through the weekend.

The stories the week before last were all very good, making my decision so much more difficult. The winner, with an old-fashioned yet still potent horror tale, is AJ Humpage for Famished. Runner up is Chris Allinotte's Ethics 1A, a twisted tale of logic and the result thereof.

The Tome, restless at having been so neglected, spit these at me and then turned its back:

Rhythm
Reconcile
Spicy

The usual rules apply: 100 words maximum (excluding title) of flash fiction or poetry using all of the three words above in the genres of horror, fantasy, science fiction or noir. Serialized fiction is, as always, welcome. All variants and use of the words and stems are fine. You have until 11 p.m. (U.S. Eastern time) Friday, December 5.

Feel free to post links to your stories on Twitter or Facebook or whichever social media best pleases you and, if you like, remind your friends that we are open to new and returning writers.

13 comments:

  1. so many problems, life does tend to get in the way, doesn't it??
    Congratulations to AJ and Chris, superb writing.
    The Captain at first read spiky for spicy... which would have made for an interesting instalment but he said he will settle for spicy although not the type you might think. Methinks the Captain is a tad prudish at times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Antonia, Rebecca and Colleen! On to this week's words ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to both AJ and Chris on their wins. Was wondering whether something happened or if my computer broke lol. Just a bot of practise using the words for my story, get back in the swing of it so to speak.


    My head tried to reconcile my options before my grip gave way, there had to be a way off this ledge goddamnit.
    Half an hour and my hands felt like I had been grating them slowly on a cheese grater and then dipping the wound into a spice ridden curry mixed with hydrochloric acid. The jagged lip of the rock had dug into my palms and was tearing them slowly open.
    The wind blows debris into my eyes and as I inadvertently recoiled, my grip gave way completely; then all I can hear is the rhythm of my heart beating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Superb opening sentence, and then the descriptions ... ouch!

      Delete
    2. Rob, loved this! superb piece of writing, incredibly vivid descriptions and great last line.
      Envious, so I am...

      Delete
  4. Not going to make it this week ... lost the thread as novel took over, especially as Pettinger has a much bigger part to play in that, and now I'm away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Infinity 79
    There is a rhythm to life at sea, one that you reconcile yourself to in time. Or so it is said. I am still wondering how to come to terms with the Creature and what I did, whilst wondering if the body I fed it was spicy or dull. I can’t ask… but I can record that the merchantman put up no fight, gave us the loot, gold, gems and cloth, and now we be loaded to the gunnels and in danger of shipping water but we head for port where we can trade this for what matters. Gold coin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of your usual smooth offerings Antonia - love especially the opening sentence

      Delete
    2. Best they do a bit of spending and make some room for the next load of loot. I like the question of how the creatures meal tastes, makes me think of animals eating their food such as dogs, there's a curiosity there but never enough to bring oneself to try it lol.

      Delete
  6. Been trying all week to get to this, but things kept getting in the way. Out Monday as usual, out Wednesday doing tarot readings, last night all sorts of mayhem with the computer which froze time after time - it does that when I try to make it go faster than it wants. I need a new one but - money - short supply - know what I mean??
    Anyway, the news of the moment is this: my business partner has acquired a parrot which doesn't shut up, apparently. And he plans on bringing said parrot to the shop in Spring and summer. OK so far?
    Someone came into the shop during the week to sell a wooden pub sign, depicting a skull and crossbones and the dire warning that is what happens when there is piracy on the high seas. Parrot - sign, next to one another in the shop... I thought about it for a few minutes and then heard the Captain laughing. I don't think he contrived to get Shaun the parrot but he certainly contrived to get us the pub sign, that's for sure!

    Sandra, missing your regular instalments, get writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried, Antonia, believe me I tried, but finished up with two very inadequate half-pieces and couldn't see how to improve, so best not..

      Delete
  7. Whew! Only took me an hour to get logged on! All right m'dears. The gates are closed. Winners and words tomorrow, even if I have to try all day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew! Only took me an hour to get logged on! All right m'dears. The gates are closed. Winners and words tomorrow, even if I have to try all day!

    ReplyDelete